Thursday, April 3, 2008

Casual Work: Better than Expected

Finding a position in finance will probably take a few months. As with any senior white-collar occupation there are multiple interviews and a lot of careful vetting. To bring in some money and make sure I don't run down my savings too much in the interim, I signed up for casual work with Manpower.

I've been working 2 or 3 days a week at various odd jobs: unloading boxes in a warehouse, or helping run an assembly line for bacterial test kits. Today I donned a fluorescent yellow vest and did some street sweeping for Mosman council's contractors. My Dad should get a kick out of this, as he worked at Leichardt council for over 30 years. I found that sweeping is quite pleasant when you have a cool day and occasional harbour views.

It's been good for my spirits to get out and work. When all I do is look at ads for permanent jobs and send out applications, I naturally think about my life and wonder where it might be headed. This dreamy activity leaves me rather anxious and despondent if it's the only thing happening. On days when I have some casual labour as well, there's less time to worry about the future, and I finish the day happy.

No comments: